Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Quadrophenia 1979

I found that other than the fact that scooters have two wheels this is far from a biker film. What it is, is a sad sack predictable mess. I had to get past my American discomfort to full frontal male nudity which appeared to be there for no apparent reason. I then moved on trying desperately to get past my revulsion and out right disdain for scooters. Did I mention they are adorned with sissy bars and two sets of mirrors? Are you kidding me? No one including this kid playing the lead, looks cool on a scooter!

Did I forget to mention that this film is British? It is set in and around London during the mid nineteen sixties (1965) when it was “The Mod’s” versus “The Rockers”. Anyone wearing leather like an actual biker was lumped albeit unwillingly into the Rocker group. “Rockers and Mod’s and Bears, Oh My!”

It has been said that this film was loosely based on “The Who’s” rock opera of the same name. The film chronicles the life of Jimmy a young, love struck, loser, played brilliantly by Phil Daniels. He tries so hard to fit in by popping pills, drinking to excess and dancing “the Go-Go” while singing along to every early sixty rock and roll hit word for word. The clothes are a trip I must say The Mod’s were a well dressed bunch. Worse yet this kid loves a girl who has no real interest in him. He is disappointed at every turn. His parent’s lives bore him and he constantly disappoints them. His father takes time to note that Jimmy reminds him of a long dead oddball Uncle who offed him self. Talk about planting a seed!

Later the Mod’s clash with the Rockers in a beach town one wild weekend. The scene turns ugly, fights break out and the police are called in. Our boy is slapped with a large fine. The upshot is that he manages to shag his lady love after leaving the may lay. Later as if things weren't going badly enough his Mum kicks him out and he learns his old rocker friend Dave, has won the heart of his girl. Boo Woo! The only part of this film I bought was the fact that the real biker got the girl.

Now just because I had to sit threw this pile, doesn’t mean you need to. Spare your self unless you are a scooter freak and love all things depressing otherwise this isn’t worth watching.

Don’t make me fire my gun; this film just isn’t worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment