Monday, September 6, 2010

Son's of Anarchy Season One

What can I say but how nice it was to turn on the television and see bikers played in a more truthful manner. To see the personal side of the outlaw biker versus the headlines which are never favorable nor accurate, never telling the entire story. I have to admit “they” meaning all the people involved in making this series did a really great job. Whoever their "technical adviser" is (aka the patch holder who is trying to keep it authentic) he gets coo doos for the job which I expect is much harder than the rest of us might imagine.

Once again I’ve got to hand it to the writers and designers of this series. The name alone sounds authentic; Son’s of Anarchy. The center patch reaper makes a statement which is the ultimate goal of a good design. Unlike many movies I’ve suffered threw they managed to get the rockers right. I especially love the California bottom rocker which is a known bone of contention in the outlaw world in Callie. They also managed to get the officers patches to look authentic adding the “Redwood Originals” patch denoting the mother chapter. Better yet is the “SAMCRO” patch which managed to confuse a lot of people when the show first aired. It was more than clever.

The cast from top to bottom is stellar. I take my helmet off to the English born actor Charlie Hunnam, playing Jaxs or Jackson Teller, Vice President and heir apparent to all things SAMCRO. In watching his mannerisms and body language I can only guess that he spent some quality time in the company of some actual American patch holders in order to nail this character the way he has. His walk or strut reminds me of countless patch holders I have known over the years. From his hand gestures to his facial expressions they are spot on. It is amazing how really believable he actually is.

No television show is perfect in its authenticity but this one does a good job. Remember I’m looking for the mistakes. For instance it’s hard not to love Opies character as well as the guy who plays him Ryan Hurst. However that Rastafarian hat has got to go. Over the years I have seen patch holders of various stripes wear beanies or a knit cap pulled low to keep their head and ears warm but nothing like this thing. In the summer months he’s sporting this Rasta cap. I call foul and say no fucking way. Believe me some brother would have ripped that thing off his head and properly disposed of it. Enough said!

I like Dyna-Glides what’s not to like and it’s true that for many it is their bike of choice. However threw all the years other than SAMCRO I have never seen an entire club riding the same type or style of motorcycle. I know the producers probably paid Harley a lot of money but they should have spent a bit more and mixed it up a bit. At least ole Piney is riding a trike which at his special age makes a bit more sense and Bobby rides the Fat-boy. In the real world most guys Perlman's age would be riding a bagger. Just check out any red and white event and you will see the senior brothers and I say this with the utmost respect; have for the most part turned in their hard tails and Softails alike for the Cadillac comforts of a bagger. Come on guys mix it up a bit. Throw in a custom or two to help keep things real!

I love the roll Katy Sagal plays as Gemma Teller-Morrow. She is the earth mother to her prosperous band of bikers. I think they have nailed the heart of her character very well not making her too tough nor too sweet. You can bet that in many clubs there is usually at least one woman that is like her. She has earned the love and respect of the members. When times are tough they will more than not confide in her. She is most often the Presidents wife or long time spouse. Although sometimes she may be on the outside but has become a trusted friend and confidant. She is always there when a member may need his ego massaged or the weight of his conscience or heart lightened. Her character further proves what most members know yet hate to admit which is "What happens at the clubhouse stays at the clubhouse" just until members get home and pillow talk!

Clubs like society as a whole are political entities. In the clubs that are successful democracy as in life rules. I’ve heard it said that some clubs are so democratic that its hell to get anything accomplished. This series captures a and money can be the ultimate aphrodisiac. Although it’s true that respect goes a long way it is also true that change is inevitable. The writers are nailing this aspect of club life albeit by using the old father son adage. It is well written woven in and out of the story line and played even better by excellent actors.

One of my very favorite parts of the story line is that the town of Charming is a drug free zone. For once the world is allowed to understand that not all bikers do drugs. “Shocking, I know”! Not really; in any society there are those that do and those that don’t. Many times those that do, don’t for long. The smart ones soon realize the negative affect on themselves and everyone around them. So I enjoy the club being portrayed as meth free it’s such a departure from what the mass media tries to stuff down the public’s throat.

This club is all about taking care of business, something mentioned often in the show. Sadly according to the program “Gangland” which in my opinion, is nothing more than more cop propaganda. If you listen to them “taking care of business” means killing people innocent or otherwise. It’s interesting that in the series their business just happens to be running guns. Not a real stretch I might imagine. The gunfight in one of the early episode's is startling yes but also on the mark. Except for the part where not a single Mayan was hit in the hail of bullets administered by SAMCRO. Practice, practice, practice and you too may be able to out shoot the LAPD. Another plus for me is that the writers actually use the names of the guns correctly, such as M-4’s, Glocks and AKs. This is unlike every news reporter that describes every gun they show on the American television an assault rifle; even when it’s a Winchester 30/30 hunting rifle. I say good job guessing that maybe one of the writes belongs to the NRA.

Who doesn’t love a cop on the take. This soft hearted albeit greedy local Sheriff is played to the hilt by Dayton Callie. I don’t care who you are this is one cop even I like. He wants his town drug free and crime free. He’s made a deal with the devil to do so. I say devil meaning SAMCRO in this case. Maybe more cops should mimic the fantasy who knows maybe the streets could be cleaned up in a neighborhood near you.

In the very first episode Tig is razzed at the table, when he can’t pay his dues. Someone mentions he’s spent all his money on little Ti boys. Funny yes, it’s funny but still an odd thing to say. Every outlaw biker I have ever known would be insulted by that crack. Man on man lovin is the ultimate no, no. Well that is unless you’re in prison. On the inside all bets are off. Anything that happens inside those gray walls doesn’t count. On the outside a remark like that even in good fun could be considered disrespectful and may cause a fight between brothers. However the more you watch the more you realize what a sick freak that character actually is. his oddities often creeping out the president. Who I remember asks calmly "What did your mommy do to you?"

I also love the squeamish, vegetarian, boxing, one balled prospect they nicknamed Half Sack. He is lovable and loyal hard working albeit not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The kid playing the part does a great job and he lightens the scenes with his continuing screw up’s. There’s simply nothing not to like when this character is a part of the scene. My favorite is his surveillance on the mini bike my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

My one ongoing confusion is how many members are in the Charming chapter? I count eight, Clay, Jaxs, Bobby, Tig, Chibs, Juice, Piney and sometimes Happy who is actually part of the Tacoma chapter at least I think that's what they said. it all gets a little murky for me about that. If you count Opie who comes back after his stint at earning straight and Half Sac I come out with nine and a half. Yet when they ride out in mass there appears to be a lot more than ten guys. So which is it are they a chapter of say ten members or are they a chapter of say twenty? If it is supposed to be the larger number then I want to know why only the inner circle members are at the table and not the entire club. In most clubs everyone is at the table for meetings that’s what keeps it running like a democracy and not a dictatorship. I hope at some point they clear that murky mess up. If they are the “Redwood Originals” then you would think the chapter would be of a more substantial size not the few we see.

The entire first season had me on the edge of my solo seat wanting more and more looking forward to it's airing. I haven't looked forward to anything that much since the Soprano's. Keeping it real is the key to the success which includes an ugly truth or two. One such truth was the opening of the "Fire or Knife Tattoo Removal Shop". The scene was gruesome but dialed in over the years I've seen that handy work and their faces were appropriately sickened.

I'm really behind posting this but it couldn't be helped. Season three is about to start and I can't wait. I should have season two's review up shortly. If you haven't yet seen this do whatever it takes to get a copy. If you ride or have ever been around the life you will love this series.

I give this six shots out of six! Also would be happy to teach the boys how to hit the target moving or otherwise when firing a weapon. This series hits the bulls-eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment